Sunday 6 July 2014

Japanese nicknames for Lolita


I've been so lucky to make the acquaintance of a few Japanese Lolita friends. They're all very lovely and I really enjoy hanging out with them. So as an extra bonus I wanted to add the Japanese nicknames I've heard used when we have been chatting.

Just as a side note, I'm not saying that Japanese terms are more correct. In fact, I think it's fantastic that lolita has developed it's own culture and terms outside of Japan. I just thought it would be an interesting topic to write about!

Metamorphose Temps de Fille is a brand
that originated in Osaka, which could explain
some of the bold choices it makes with prints.

Brand Nicknames

Angelic Pretty - アンプリ - anpuri
Baby, the Stars Shine Bright - ベイビー - beibi- (baby)
Metamorphose temps de fille - メタモー - metamo-
Victorian Maiden - メイデン - meiden (maiden)

I was most surprised by "metamo-" because I've always simply called it "Meta" in English.

Clothing Names

Jumper-skirt - ジャンスカ - jyanska
One-piece - ワンピ - wanpi
Cardigan - カーデ - ka-de
Over-knee Socks - オーバニー - o-bani-

"wanpi" is the common nickname for a dress in Japanese.


I have also heard nicknames for popular prints such as ミルプラ (mirupura) for Milky Planet. Hopefully, next time I will be able to add a few print nick names to the list! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...